I don’t think it’ll come to a surprise to anyone when I say that some of my favorite flavors are Japanese. Being half Japanese, I grew up eating traditional food at my obachan’s house each Friday night and my more adventurous palette definitely stemmed from eating octopus salads and raw fish on a weekly basis. Thanks, Obachan!
While this recipe for Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps isn’t “exotic” in any way, it’s an incredibly big crowd pleaser. I think chicken teriyaki is arguably one of the most loved “Americanized” Japanese foods out there (with sushi also well up in the ranks) and with good reason. There’s something about that perfect sweet + salty combination that is completely addictive and –boy– when you get that perfect bite where the teriyaki sauce drenches the rice… H-E-A-V-E-N. It really doesn’t get any better!
Essentially, these lettuce wraps were created to help me fight the urge to eat out by combining some of my favorite flavors into a nifty lettuce wrap. They are relatively low carb and you can go to town with whatever toppings your heart desires. I’m a big fan of textures, so adding in some chopped peanuts for a crunch was a must!
While I drizzled the teriyaki sauce on top, mixing it in with the chicken allows for an extra flavor pump! Best of all, to can be made in 20-30 minutes depending on how quickly you can chop your veggies and is a perfect light and refreshing recipe for the summer. Whoop whoop!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped canned water chestnuts
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp ginger, finely diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 head Boston bibb lettuce
- 2-4 tbsp chopped peanuts
- sliced green onion
- slivered carrots
- red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Transfer the garlic and onion mixture to a separate plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan to heat. Season the chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper and add to the pan, cooking till golden brown. Add the garlic and onion mixture and chopped water chestnuts and stir till combine.
- Combine the soy sauce, water, diced ginger, honey, and brown sugar into a small saucepan. Bring to a soft boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Whisk together the cornstarch and water and add it to the saucepan, stirring till the teriyaki sauce thickens.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by adding the chicken mixture to each lettuce cup. Top with chopped peanuts, green onion, slivered carrots, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds and drizzle with the teriyaki sauce.