Cue December, Christmas music, and holiday cheer! Although it is currently 80 degrees outside (not the type of weather one associates with winter), I’ve found myself pinning winter comfort foods that are typically best enjoyed in cold weather, in front of a cozy fire. Even though I don’t have either, I’m still determined to enjoy warm and filling stews and soups during the holiday season!
This is where turkey chili comes in! I originally found this recipe online here and made a few personal tweaks (i.e. MORE GARLIC and TOPPINGS GALORE!) to fit my personal taste. This dish is hearty and delicious and, bonus points, is super easy to make! If you have kids that are picky eaters, they’ll love this and can customize their own bowls! Serve each piping hot bowl with sour cream, tortilla chips or cornbread, jalapeños if you’re into the spicy life, avocado, and cheese!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used lean turkey)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained
- 2-3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Toppings: sour cream, avocados, chips, corn bread, cheese, green onions, etc
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in turkey and cook until no longer raw. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the water, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season with chili powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir completely and then bring the chili to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!