YUP! It’s that time of year again!
Break out your mixers and turn up your oven because we are diving right back into fall baking season like we never left!
But really, does anyone else feel like we never left? Kyle and I were just talking about how we need to start planning out Halloween costumes AGAIN. Like, didn’t we just dress up a few months ago?
Regardless of how quickly the seasons are flying by, I can’t help but be excited for fall. It has been SO hot here in Southern California and we don’t have an AC in our apartment. Some days, it feels like we’re inside a toaster so the prospect of being able to wear long pajama pants to bed and cuddle up under blankets with coffee + a sweet treat sounds AMAZING.
So let’s talk about today’s recipe! It’s the first pumpkin addition of the year and it’s a good one! If you’re looking to get into that festive fall mood without all the heaviness that most baked goods bring, this on is for you. It’s made with half whole wheat flour, maple syrup, and doesn’t contain any butter (hello heart healthy olive oil!). You can easily whip it up in no time and store them in the freezer if you make a full batch and can’t finish them all in a few days! I like to pop one of the plain frozen muffins into my toaster and then drizzle on the glaze once it comes out and cools slightly. Delicious!
Happy baking, friends!
- 1 15oz can of pureed pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, egg, egg white, maple syrup, sugar, milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together white flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Grease a muffin tin and add batter about ¾ of the way full for each one. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- While the muffins are cooling, whisk together 1 tbsp of milk with ½ cup of powdered sugar. Drizzle the glaze on the the muffins and enjoy!