Anyone else in the breakfast slump? 🙋🏼
Lately, I’ve been so unmotivated when it comes to breakfast. Dinners have been fantastic since I’m still on a cooking high from moving into my first apartment and having my own kitchen, but when I wake up in the morning at 5:30 or 6 am to get up with Kyle, the last thing I want to do is make anything that takes more than 2 minutes of effort. Breakfast has been pretty uninspiring lately with a lot of peanut butter toast and cereal!
That’s why, I came up with this recipe! I wanted a filling breakfast that was delicious, easy, and fast. Apple pie is my favorite food, so it only took a second to decide that I wanted to incorporate caramelized apples for a sweet start to the day!
It’s the perfect mid-week pick-me-up when you’re starting to get bored with all your normal breakfast eats AND the apple mixture can be made ahead so all you need to do is heat them up and serve them on top of your oats! Perfection!
In other news, Kyle and I splurged and hopped on the Fitbit train. One of my wedding photography bride’s gushed about hers and how helpful it’s been for her and I couldn’t get them out of my head! So far, we both LOVE ours and have had so much fun seeing all of the cool technology at work. We both like analytics, so being able to track everything and feel motivated to move, sleep better, drink more water, etc has already been a game changer for us. More updates to come soon!
- 1 cup dry oats (quick cook or steel cut, whichever you prefer)
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider or juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of flour
- 1 apple, sliced
- Cook the oat according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In a small pan, combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, apple cider or juice, cinnamon, and pinch of flour. Whisk to combine and bring to a soft boil.
- Add the apples evenly in the pan and allow to cook in the mixture for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and gooey and apples are soft.
- Top half of the cooked oats with half of the caramelized apple mixture.
- Optional toppings: extra cinnamon, nuts, fruit, etc