You guys. Prepare to have your minds BLOWN. More specifically, the healthified dessert part of your brain (#anatomy).
A little background. My goal on this blog when I create healthier recipes is to make ones that essentially don’t lose their food soul. You know those “healthy” recipes that taste like cardboard? Ones that are maybe slightly reminiscent of their un-healthified counterparts if your tastebuds try their hardest? I tried to convince myself in the past that they were “good”, but I’ve come to a point where if it isn’t outright delicious, I’d rather eat the real thing as a treat.
And then came along this recipe. I had some ripe bananas sitting on the counter and wanted to try something a little different than you run-of-the-mill banana bread. A quick check in the cupboards and I found that I had all the necessary ingredients to throw together some sort of a chocolate cake. I didn’t have the highest expectations, but then I tasted the batter and knew I was on to something. After a quick bake in the oven, and I was greeted by a fluffy, perfect chocolate cake that almost looked too good to be a healthier recipe.
I thought, “hey, looks can be deceiving”.
Then I took a bite.
They AREN’T in this case . Heart eyes. Heart eyes x 18392048!
One bite, that’s all I needed to be sold. Perfect texture that doesn’t reflect at ALL that there’s zero (ZERO!) butter in this recipe. A perfect chocolate taste that makes you instantly crave a glass of milk. And the kicker?
Less than 190 calories per slice. What what?!!!
Meet my newest pride and joy, Miracle Skinny Chocolate Cake. <3
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- ⅓ cup nonfat greek vanilla yogurt
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preaheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the bananas. Add in the sour cream, greek yogurt, honey, vanilla, and egg and mix till smooth.
- Add in the cocoa powder, flour, and baking soda and mix till just combined.
- Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.