This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The a2 Milk Company™. All opinions are 100% mine.
If you’ve stuck around Apple of My Eye for a while, you might know that I am an apple pie FIEND. It’s hands-down one of my favorite foods and not a family gathering goes by where I don’t make one of my salted caramel apple pies to serve with vanilla ice cream. There’s nothing better than a perfectly flaky crust that slathered with caramelized apples + the yumminess they cook in and the leftovers (if there are any leftovers, #realtalk) the next day are perfect with my morning cup of coffee.
However, I am quite picky with my apple pie recipes and really don’t stray from the one I’ve been making for the last 4 years. That would be blasphemy! I knew I wanted to make a recipe that incorporated all the flavors of apple pie, but in a different form. As soon as the idea of brunch flitted into my head, my brain immediately screamed APPLE CINNAMON CREPES!!
Unlike pie, these sweet crepes are a socially acceptable form of breakfast. Plus Fruit = Healthy, right? (just go with me on this one). I followed this base crepe recipe and then added a special apple touch to add my own pie-obsessed touch to them.
The apples are stewed to perfection in a saucy mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon and then used to fill (and top!) the crepes, resulting in the perfect combination of savory and sweet in each bite. You can slowly soften the cinnamon brown sugar apples in a pan, or, if you’re anything like me, use the handy-dandy microwave!
Now, let’s switch topics and talk about milk! This recipe is friendly to all those lactose-intolerant peeps out there thanks to a2 Milk®, which is a healthy and natural substitute to chemically processed alternatives. Unlike other milk brands, a2 Milk® doesn’t contain the protein that makes those with lactose intolerance show symptoms. This is because a2 Milk’s® cows naturally produce milk with only the A2-type protein and not the A1-type protein, that makes some people ill. So that those who usually have discomfort after drinking milk can still drink cow’s milk worry free!
I especially love how the a2 Milk Company partners with U.S. family dairy farmers who are certified in the humane treatment of animals. The cows are fed a vegetarian diet and never given hormones or rBST and the milk itself is antibiotic free and doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients or additives!
I’ve used a2 Milk® in several of my recipes (throwback to Lightened-Up Lava Flow, Double Chocolate Smoothie Bowl and Low-Carb Baked Asparagus Bacon Frittata) and this time I decided to use it to whip up some crepes for Mother’s Day!
I’m tellin’ ya, these are perfect for a lazy Sunday morning and will make your kitchen smell like heaven. My kind of recipe!
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup a2 Milk™
- 1 pinch salt
- 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp water (more or less, if you don't want it very syrupy)
- Combine the flour, eggs, milk, salt and oil in a blender and blend until evenly mixed.
- Head a medium-sized skillet and grease liberally with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ cup of crepe batter into pan, tilting to completely coat the surface of the pan. Cook until the top of the crepe is dry and then flip once, until golden.
- To make the apple cinnamon filling, fill a bowl with the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water (optional). Mix well and then cook in the microwave for one minute, adding time if the apples are still too crunchy.
- Spoon the apple filling in a line on the crepe and then roll the crepe around the filling. Repeat
- (Optional) Garnish with extra apple cinnamon filling, strawberries, blueberries and mint!
Find more of a2 Milk® by following them on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.