I’m coming at ya with a new drink recipe that has been on my mind for a while now. Namely a lightened up version of one of my favorite summer drinks, the Lava Flow!
Growing up, my family often traveled to Hawaii during the summer to stay at my Obachan’s (Japanese for grandmother) timeshare. One of the best parts of those childhood vacations was hanging out by the pool and ordering non-alcoholic Lava Flows by the triplicate.
With summer coming up, I knew that I wanted to recreate my favorite tropical drink. Since I’ve always considered Lava Flows as rare treats, too indulgent for everyday drinkage, I decided to make a few subtle tweaks to make a lighted up version that tastes just as good! By exchanging the strawberry syrup for fresh strawberries and half-and-half for healthy a2 Milk®, you can greatly cut down on the amount of processed sugar and fat in each serving!
Fun fact! Unlike regular cow’s milk that contains A1 protein, a2 Milk® only contains the A2 type of beta-casein protein. The A1 protein is what makes those with lactose intolerance unable to consume dairy products, which means that people with lactose intolerance can still drink a2 Milk® without showing any symptoms.
In addition, a2 Milk® also contains about 6x the amount of calcium as soy beverages, 8x the protein of almond beverages and 6x the potassium levels of rice beverages!
Even if you can’t get away, these Lightened-Up Lava Flows are perfect for recreating a tropical vacation. They’re simple to make, delicious, and guaranteed to impress family and friends!
Helpful tip, you can usually find cream of coconut in the drinks section of any grocery store, where they keep the other alcoholic mixers.
Want to hear more from a2 Milk®? Follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest! Use this handy dandy Product Locator to find a store that carried them near you and then use this a2 Milk® $1 Off Coupon to try it!
- 1½ cup (12 ounces) pineapple juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut
- ½ cup a2 fat free Milk®
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen strawberries
- Optional: Rum
- Optional: Fresh pineapple to garnish
- Puree the strawberries with ½ cup water in a blender. Move the blended strawberries to a separate bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the pineapple juice, cream of coconut and milk. Blend this mixture with 2 cups of ice. *add alcohol if desired at this step
- Pour 1-2 inches of the strawberry mixture into the bottom of your glassed. Then, pour the white picture into the middle of the glass until the cup is filled.