Nothing screams comfort to me more than an enormous, steamy-hot bowl of pasta. There’s something about pasta noodles that make it the perfect flavor vessel and man, is it carrying the most perfect cargo in this recipe! I’m talkin’ a super rich (but actually lightened up!) tomato sauce that’s chock full of lean ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms and all tied together with that perfect savory touch of garlic salt and a gorgeous sprinkling of parmesan.
Let’s have some #realtalk here: it would be blasphemy to leave out all that beautiful parm <3.
This is one of those meals that Kyle and I on a regular basis. We’re both pretty busy (he’s an engineering major), but his schedule is more intense this term than mine, so I do most of the cooking. It’s kinda funny, but when I’m not working on recipes for the blog, I tend to gravitate to time-tested and super easy meals that I can whip up quickly. This definitely fits that bill! I made this on Wednesday night and paired it with steamed veggies and some whole wheat baguette bread.
It was the definition of healthy comfort food and I only decided to photograph it at the last minute since I figured it would be a pretty good representation of the type of meals I eat. I like a balance of indulgent, yet healthy recipes that make me feel happy and content and have ingredients that do good things for my body. Huzzah!
So this. Done in 30 minutes and, if you’re like Kyle and I, it will serve you up at least 4-5 hefty portions. Kyle eats a lot and we still have a serving in the fridge! If you’re a lighter eater or serve this with veggies/a side, it will easily last you 6 meals and you are set for a few days. Perfect for people who don’t want to slave away in the kitchen all day and are big fans of yummy pasta-tomato-y-goodness.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups diced bell pepper
- 1½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- ¾ lb lean ground beef (I used 96% lean, but any meat will work)
- 24 oz (one big jar) marinara sauce
- 1 lb dried spaghetti noodles
- fresh basil
- parmesan for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the diced bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Cook until soft, then add in the ground beef, breaking it up into smaller pieces and cooking till no longer pink. Season the mixture with garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add in the marina sauce and bring to a soft boil. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- While the bolognese sauce mixture is cooking, boil the noodles until al dente.
- Top the noodles with the bolognese sauce and serve with fresh basil and parmesan. Enjoy!