Let’s play a game.
The game involves stuffing as many of these skinny dark chocolate strawberry muffins into your mouth in one day as possible.
I challenge myself.
I win .
Don’t you like games like this? I sure doooo. But really, I think I have a new favorite healthier muffin! I’ve tried a good number of “healthy” muffins in my time, and I’ve found a lot of them to be disappointing. Dry, lack of flavor, general “meh”-ness. These are anything but that! Prepare yourself because these pretty little gems are fluffy, but dense at the same time and perfectly sweet with bites of dark chocolate and strawberries.
My heart is pounding in my chest and I’m pretty sure it’s the sugar rush, but I’m going to play it off as infatuation with all the flavor and those bites that are perfectly studded with chocolate chips (as in a ratio of 5 chips per inch of muffin, please). I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. AHH.
I think I tortured my housemates with this recipe. Oftentimes I’ll make a recipe at night and photograph it the next day since my class schedule is all over the place and I need certain natural lighting for my photos. My friends know this and won’t touch what I make without the ready… set… EAT from me. I left these out and was gone for most of the day, and came back to a living room full of girls saying “CAN WE EAT THEM”. I gave the green light and they were promptly demolished with plenty of yums and happy filled stomach noises. Woo! Success!
These muffins are made without any butter (coconut oil and greek yogurt replace it), and have a combination of whole wheat flour and white flour to balance health and flavor. Each one comes out to just under 230 calories and are just plain delicious <3. These will be your morning coffee’s best friend and will satisfy any sweet tooth craving that hits!
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (about 5 oz) nonfat greek strawberry yogurt (I used chobani)
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup quartered strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixer or by hand, mix together the coconut oil, sugar, brown sugar, egg, yogurt, and milk till completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- Fill a greased muffin pan ¾ of the way full and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Eat 10!