Fudgy double chunk dark chocolate flavor with salted caramel swirls on top that stare deep into your soul? Yes please. I kid you not, this salted caramel lave brownie cake is richer than Bill Gates.
Let’s backup a few days to Halloween. Kyle and I left early from Santa Barbara and drove down to our hometown to surprise his family with a visit. UCSB during Halloween is basically chaotic madness and we chose to leave our little Isla Vista for the fun of giving out candy to all the adorably dressed little kids in his neighborhood. You would think by now I would be sick of candy (especially accounting for Kyle’s mama buying 900 pieces of candy to hand out with plenty extra), but I’ve just been plain sick, which has taken a major toll on my appetite. I thought it would only be fitting if I got in my chocolate fix with these babies.
This recipe is guaranteed to satisfy any chocolate or sweet tooth craving you could possibly have and make one heck of a potluck dessert. You serve these basically straight out of the oven and they are gooey perfection. Excuse me while I wipe fudgy deliciousness off of my keyboard because the melty chocolate is just a leeeeeetle outta control. This is madness! NO. This is Salted Caramel Lave Brownie Cake!
What was I saying? Sorry I get hypnotized by freakin’ salted caramel melting itself into that perfectly crackled top and soaking into layers of chocolate.
Also, I think it goes without saying that I won’t be calculating the nutrition for this post. This recipe is goooood for the soul and a little sugah and buttah is fine once in a while. And by once in a while I mean for breakfast, after-breakfast coffee break snack, post-lunch dessert, pre-dinner appetizer, and for real dessert. Then we all can collapse on the sofa and breathe a happy sugar-coma sigh of happiness. K?
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- caramel sauce
- sea salt
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE! The top should be crackly but the inside should be gooey and delicious.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce on top of the brownies and sprinkle on the sea salt. Serve hot!