≡ Menu

Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

So it turns out that strong black coffee is not meant to be had at 9:30 at night.

Granted, I did have a long-ish lab report to do and had an ochem midterm today so I needed some liquid energy, but two cups was probably overdoing it. Just know that at the moment, I’m practically bouncing off the walls.

One good thing about being so hyped up on caffeine? I have the energy to get up this here tasty post at 1:30 a.m. :shock: .

ANYWAYS. Let’s bounce towards the main point of this post: Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

When it comes to different cuisines, asian food has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe it stems from all those weekly family gatherings at my obachan’s house, or maybe it comes from the delicious sweet and salty flavors that are characteristic of a lot of asian dishes (sugar+soy sauce on everything, please), but I just plain luuuuuuuuurrrrrve Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean dishes.

Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

I know I’ve said this before, but growing up with a Japanese mom and Norwegian dad lends itself to a pretty weird culture mix. Holidays involved Japanese festivals and dressing up in traditional Japanese clothing along with marching in my little bunard dress waving Norsk flags around for syttende mai (the Norwegian national day). Weekly dinners involved copious amounts of steak and potatoes, as well as hot sukiyaki, curry, and sashimi topped with raw salmon eggs and octopus at my obachan’s house. I don’t think I even tried more all-American fare like meatloaf or baked beans until I started dating Kyle and eating over at his house, even though I’ve lived in the US almost all my life.

NorwegianJapanese collage

Even Christmas was celebrated differently. Unlike most families that get together on Christmas day, the festivities for my extended family start on Christmas Eve. We all fit into one house that’s practically bursting at its seams with all the people and love in it and open presents after a fantastic dinner. It wasn’t till I got older that I realized that most kids had to wait till the next morning to open presents and have the traditional Christmas celebrations (muhahah).

Since Christmas day is always left open, we have a family tradition of going out to a nice Chinese restaurant for a big lunch. One of my favorite dishes have always been their delicious lettuce wraps which include a mouthwatering sweet and salty ground beef that’s filled with crunchy water chestnuts. As soon as the waiter would bring the dish to the table, my cousins and I would make a beeline to serve ourselves a heaping pile on a crisp piece of lettuce and spoon a little extra sauce on top. <—— –the BEST.

These are a spin off of those taste lettuce wraps, only they’re much more pimped out thanks to the addition of toppings like roughly chopped peanuts and crunchy carrots for extra texture. AND they’re healthified. Lean ground beef (or your choice of meat, pork and chicken would work great as well) cooked with a little olive oil for healthy fats and, if you’re looking for a dinner that’s low in carbs, the lettuce wraps make the dish come out with only 7g of carbs per wrap naturally. I made a big batch for dinner tonight and Kyle and I inhaled all of it within a day.

I’m telling you, these wraps are that good!

Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

5.0 from 4 reviews
Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 10 wraps
Ingredients
  • 1¼ lb 96% lean ground beef (or any ground meat you prefer)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup onion, roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, diced
  • ¾ cup water chestnuts, roughly chopped
  • 5 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • Bibb lettuce
  • Optional toppings:
  • shredded carrots
  • roughly chopped peanuts
  • toasted sesame seeds
  • chopped green onion
Instructions
  1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add in the ground beef and break it apart with a cooking spoon into smaller pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook till no longer pink. Set aside on a separate plate.
  2. In the same pan, cook the onion, garlic, and ginger for 3-4 minutes. Add the meat and water chestnuts into the pan.
  3. Stir in the hoisin sauce and soy sauce and cook everything together for a few minutes.
  4. To serve, place the meat mixture in the lettuce cups and top with shredded carrots, peanuts, sesame seeds, green onion, and extra hoisin sauce.
Notes
*Makes 10 lettuce wraps
*Extra toppings not included in nutritional data
*Hoisin sauce can be found in the asian section in most grocery stores. It's not too exotic- I promise!
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 lettuce wrap (recipe makes 10) Calories: 120 Fat: 5.8g Saturated fat: 2.1g Carbohydrates: 7.3g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 253mg Fiber: 0.8g Protein: 10.4g Cholesterol: 28mg

Share this post:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on Tumblr

Christine Skari

Budding, love hungry girl. A flower, in the fist of the world, eyes wide, fresh heart.

More Posts - Website

TwitterPinterestGoogle Plus

{ 34 comments }
  • Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate July 24, 2014, 4:49 am

I love P.F. Changs lettuce wraps, and have tried to copy the recipe at home but failed miserably. Yours look promising though! P.S. Love the old pictures- you were/are so cute!

• Erin @ The Almond Eater July 24, 2014, 5:04 am

These look amazing! Sometimes I drink coffee late at night without even realizing it. I’ll be drinking coffee and then I’m like oh shit…what time is it?! Then I’m like, welp, guess I’ll be staying up for a little while now!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Orange CookiesMy Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food July 24, 2014, 5:52 am

I don’t normally get excited about lettuce wraps, but these look incredible!

I usually drink all my coffee in the morning, but I’m pretty sure my system is immune to the effects by now!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Inside my head- 5 things about meMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 24, 2014, 7:12 am

Yum!! I bet these would be awesome with lentils in place of the ground beef for a vegetarian version!

• melizz @ fitmedcooking July 24, 2014, 8:10 am

Hmm these look delicious ! And refreshing too :) , perfect for hot summer nights ( I suppose the lettuce keeps it refreshing ?). Anyway I’ll try them in the upcoming weeks, if I manage to find hoisin sauce.
    melizz @ fitmedcooking recently posted…Five things friday – Five things about meMy Profile

• Autumn Wieland July 24, 2014, 8:40 am

Ohhh yes I LOVE asian food!! Id take that over a hamburger any day! The sweet/soy sauce “syrup” on asian food has got to be one of my favorites! Could drink that stuff with a straw!
    Absolutely no coffee for me after supper or I will be awake till the sun rises (jk). But that stuff can mess me up!

• Emma @ Life's A Runner July 24, 2014, 8:45 am

I honestly thought that the asian lettuce wraps at restaurants were healthy for SO long! I got a little sad when I realized they were quite the opposite.

I had no idea you were Norwegian! This European mutt is very very jealous. And just you wait – drink coffee at night enough and soon you’ll be tired fifteen minutes later…although that may not be a good thing. ;)
    Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted…Thinking Out Loud – Killer Bumblebees.My Profile

• Katherine July 24, 2014, 8:49 am

My family has a HUGE Christmas Eve party, so your little Christmas references brought back some lovely memories. At PF Changs they have these Asian lettuce wraps that I love! This is like a healthier (and much cheaper!) version! Your pictures are also gorgeous! xx

• Leigha @ The Yooper Girl July 24, 2014, 9:28 am

Girl… your pictures!! WHOA! That new camera is doing some good :) These look incredible. I made copycat PF Changs lettuce wraps once and they were freaking amazing. I’d like the leftovers for these, please!

• Christine Skari July 24, 2014, 4:14 pm

Hahah thanks girl! This comment totally made me smile. The new camera + better lighting + taking more time to stage pictures right have been making a big difference lately. Mhmm I bet your version was delicious!

• Polly @ Tasty Food Project July 24, 2014, 9:53 am

Yum! Lettuce wraps are so refreshing! This looks delicious!

• Autumn Wieland July 24, 2014, 9:56 am

Yessss! Just made this for lunch! It was really really good, Christine!! And your pictures are fabulous! :

• Autumn Wieland July 24, 2014, 9:57 am

Oh and I really appreciate you adding the nutrition info for your recipes! Very helpful!

• Christine Skari July 24, 2014, 4:10 pm

You’re so welcome! I try to for most of my recipes. Buttttt for food that’s good for the soul (brownies, cakes, etc), I usually don’t include it because no one wants that sort of bad news haha ;).

• Christine Skari July 24, 2014, 4:02 pm

Woohoo! So glad they were yummy for you too. They’re perfect for a nice light lunch :). You are the best recipe taste-tester ever haha <3.

• Autumn Wieland July 24, 2014, 4:48 pm

Well thank you! Its my honor! :) easiest. job. ever.
        Nooo kidding! I don’t want to be seeing no calorie count on my brownieS!

• amanda @ fake ginger July 24, 2014, 12:33 pm

These look amazing! I think I’m gonna try them for dinner tonight!

• Christine Skari July 24, 2014, 4:01 pm

They’re so good! And woo! I hope they turn out delicious for you as well :). Thanks so much for pinning them to Pinterest!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 24, 2014, 4:25 pm

Is it weird that I can drink coffee and go to sleep like 30 minutes later? :lol: And I’m so jealous of your huge family gatherings! It’s only me and my mom and dad on this side of the ocean, so holidays have always been pretty small for us.

These look amazing, lady! But that’s pretty much a given ;)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #88 .My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld July 24, 2014, 4:32 pm

pinning this to make….I’ve been dying to try a lettuce wrap recipe and you know I can trust you ;)

Hi 5 to halfies who didn’t eat ‘typical’ food until we ventured out haha.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Niki Failed Paleo- Week 1My Profile

• Julia July 25, 2014, 4:57 pm

You are ALWAYS in school girl! I hope you are not overworking herself, but I also commend you for taking on such a hefty course load throughout this year.

Thank you for shedding some light on your unique upbringing. I loved reading about your Christmases. :)

& YUM!

• Bryanna August 14, 2014, 11:12 am

I just made these using your recipe and they were so delicious! I had to go to a specialty Thai food store to get the water chestnuts and hoisin as they are apparently exotic items in Switzerland. I had to stop myself from eating the entire thing! :)

• Christine Skari August 16, 2014, 11:22 am

Awesome!! So happy they turned out delicious for you as well!