Have I mentioned that I love summer?
After the most stressful year I’ve ever had, I’m living in a beachside house with a great group of girls and even though I’m taking summer classes, my earliest lecture doesn’t start till 11 in the morning and I have three day weekends. Every week, you guys .
So now that I have an entire morning to catch up on blog reading over a filling and tasty breakfast, you better bet that I’m taking full advantage of it!
One of the perks of living with so many friends is that there’s always someone who is willing to be a taste tester. After finishing up shooting pictures of my newest creation, two of the girls wandered into our kitchen and snuck a bite. Their verdict?
“THIS TASTES LIKE DESSERT!!”
And yup yup yup, it’s that good my friends. Tangy, fresh, sweet, creamy, and healthy. What more could you want? My game plan is to double the recipe and store some of the easy strawberry compote in the fridge to quickly top my oats in the morning and save time and gain yummyness.
Also, can we all give a big hurrah over all the summer fruit that’s in season? My mindset right now is eat all the berries and I’ve been devouring cartons on cartons of blueberries and strawberries like nobody’s business. Berries beware. I’m on the loose.
I’m linking up today with the lovely Jenn from WIAW to share these delicious oats!
- Strawberry Compote:
- 1¾ cups fresh strawberries, de-stemmed and cut in half.
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- Vanilla Cream Drizzle:
- ½ tbsp vanilla coffee creamer
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 servings of cooked oatmeal
- In a medium- sized saucepan, add together the strawberries, orange juice, vanilla extract, honey, and salt. Bring to a soft boil and cook for 12-15 minutes or until berries have softened into a compote, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coffee creamer and powdered sugar.
- Serve the strawberry compote over hot oatmeal and drizzle with the sugar-cream mixture.