So imagine this. In my belleh. All over my clothes and hands. Creamy white cheese sauce dripping down my face and I look like a toddler trying to eat and missing my mouth but I just don’t care because it’s so damn delicious and I want to swim in it. The cheese, you guys!!
The other day I mentioned my excitement over having bought a new white baking dish. I didn’t mention that the #1 reason I’ve bought four new baking dishes in the last two weeks is so I can get the perfect baked pasta shot. Actually, I only ordered two initially but was smart enough to leave them at my parent’s house on accident during a weekend trip home. Going off me resembling a toddler, I also have zero patience and I just couldnotwait for them to come up to visit me in a week. How could I when supah cheesy baked pasta was calling my name?
Look at it. Just look at it. You have so much good stuff packed in one pan. So here we go, I’ll tell you guys the game plan. Everyone huddle up! So first, we’re going to take a pile of cheese and melt it till it’s all gooey-like in a ridiculously easy garlic-y homemade sauce. Then, we’re going to use that mouthwatering sauce to smother juicy chicken and vibrant broccoli. Pour it aaallll into that pretty new baking dish of ours and go crazy with fresh parmesan on top because really, why not. Now stick that beautiful mess into the oven and pace back and forth restlessly as everything melds gloriously together. Try your best not to let the delicious smells tempt you into reaching in and grabbing a piece to sample. You’ll burn yourself. Don’t ask me how I know this. When that timer goes off, have a quick dance party to celebrate and dish yourself up a big lo’ plate. Devour it. Then get seconds.
- ½ lb uncooked pasta noodles
- 3 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- ½ lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 tbsps flour
- 2½ cups milk (I used nonfat)
- 2 cups italian cheese blend
- garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, boil pasta till al dente. In the last minute or so of cooking, add in the broccoli and boil till it is cooked but still crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, cube the chicken and season it with salt and pepper. Pan-fry it in the olive oil. Add the chicken to the pasta and broccoli mixture.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter and cook the garlic for 20-30 seconds being careful not to burn it. Add in the flour and whisk it to form a rue. Cook for 30 seconds, then add in the milk and bring the white sauce to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally and letting it thicken for 5 minutes or so. Add in the italian cheese blend and season liberally with garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the pasta, broccoli, and chicken, stirring to coat everything completely.
- Pour the pasta into a greased baking dish and sprinkle with the parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!