I would truly appreciate it if you could help keep Apple of My Eye running and share this recipe on Pinterest!Getting photos for this dish was a hassle. For some reason, the sun has been refusing to come out, which left me frustrated when it came to getting good quality lighting. I swear, the clouds were being purposefully spiteful to mock me. Rude.
When I first cooked this beauty up, I had to wait three whole hours to get a bit of sunshine to peak through my window. When I saw it, it was GO GO GO time. Cue the mission impossible theme song, because this girl was on a mission.
And you know what? It was worth it. I completely believe that you eat with your eyes first, and running a food blog sortakindamaybe requires that my photography be up to par. And look! Sparkly parmesan! Juicy chicken! Woohoo! I win!
The beauty of this recipe comes with its simplicity. You take a bunch of fresh and healthy ingredients, throw them together, and you’re bound to end up with something good! Adding a small but tastebud-worthy twist comes with roasting the asparagus with garlic beforehand, giving the dish an extra flavor boost.
And I mean, seriously, could healthy comfort food get any better? Cheesy goodness blended with savory chicken and an extra crunch of texture from the garlic-y asparagus.
So go ahead! Toss that gorgeous emerald asparagus with some chicken, extra garlic (can you tell I <3 it?), cherry tomatoes, onions, and parmesan cheese and you’re in for a healthy meal done in no time at all!
All in all, one big ol’ serving of steamy hot pasta has less that 500 calories and 37 grams of protein! Be kind to your body and satisfy your pasta cravings with this healthy substitute instead of reaching for a calorie and saturated fat-laden alfredo from your nearby pasta joint.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get eatin’!
- 10 spears of asparagus
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- ¾ lb chicken breast or thighs, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb spaghetti, cooked
- ¾ cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay out the asparagus on a baking dish and sprinkle with the chopped garlic, ½ tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper, tossing to combine. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from oven, cut each spear into thirds, and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat one tbsp of olive oil. Pan fry the cubed chicken until almost done, then add in the remaining 1 tbsp of oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add in the roasted asparagus. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Toss together the chicken mixture, cooked pasta, and parmesan cheese. Season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped basil and serve hot!