So one thing you should know about me is that I really like pie. To the extent where I sometimes just sprawl myself on the bed/floor/kitchen table (you get the idea, I’m not picky) and bemoan to Kyle that I just want a slice of apple pie rightnow. There may or may not be some dramatic arm flailing going on as well.
I’ll be in the library. Kyle is sitting next to me deep in thought about his engineering endeavors. I tap him. He looks over at me with adoration overflowing in his eyes: his heart burning with love for me. I whisper seductively in his ear… I just want… Pie.
Relaxing in bed watching some Netflix or videos of babies laughing (Kyle just can’t get enough…right). We’re eating S’mores ice cream because I have the attention span of a 3 year old and can’t focus my attention solely on one thing… Like eva. Also, I like ice cream. Pie? Anyways. I simultaneously complain to him about how much I want pie while shoveling mini marshmallow-laden deliciousness into my mouth.
If you haven’t gotten the point yet, I’m a pie
monster. Ahem. Connoisseur.
So this: Salted Caramel Apple French Toast
No, really. Seriously.
Because sometimes you just don’t have time to make pie. It’s the sad, horrible truth about life. The sooner you learn to accept it, the better.
But this. Now this can help satisfy any pie craving I have. You’ve got a dreamy supah-fast salted caramel sauce. Even dreamier? You cook the apples right into the caramel and they taste exactly like a caramel apple (I wonder why), but with a higher caramel-to-apple ratio. As in a super thin slice of apple completely drenched in caramel goodness. OHHHHHHHH MY.
And then, guess what! You turn up the flavor volume even more by using cinnamon bread as your base. If you can’t find the sweet bread at your grocery store… Well I guess you should just go home and cry. Just kiddin’. Regular thick country-style bread will suit ya just fine. Just sprinkle it with some cinnamon and you’ve hopped on the tastebud train. Choo chooooo.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 slices of cinnamon bread (or whatever thick-cut bread you have)
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to form a rue.
- Add in the water, brown sugar, white sugar, and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Add in the sliced apple and stir occasionally, keeping the heat on.
- In a baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, and sugar. Place bread in the baking dish and let sit till it absorbs, about 1 minute.
- In a large skillet, melt a pat of butter and add half the bread, cooking until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side.
- Once cooked, move the french toast to a plate and smother it with the salted caramel apple sauce. Enjoy!