You know what’s Marvelous in My Monday? These babies.
I’m in a sugar coma.
This morning has been filled with delicious goodness and I’ve been busy in the kitchen baking scones and mountains of cookies for a cookie exchange party tonight. On the menu? Apple pie cookies and deep dish chocolate chip cookies stuffed with caramel (literally a mouthful).
But, back to these guys.
Delicious, light, moist, and with a great texture. These white chocolate cranberry scones are straight from heaven! I mean, c’mon. Just LOOK at that powder sugar drizzle. Liquid gold, I tell ya.
These scones are perfectly sweet and with a great combination of flavors! I love the bit of tartness that the craisins add to the moist scones and the heartiness of the them. Usually, baked goods don’t leave me feeling full and satisfied for long, but these beauties are made with a combination of white and whole wheat flours and oats, making them more substantial!
If you’d like to pin this recipe, I’d really appreciate it if you’d pin the image below!
Another great things about these white chocolate cranberry scones? They’re made with only three tablespoons of butter in the batch, which gives them the perfect light texture and lighten up a normally calorie and fat laden treat! While I’m most definitely not against treating yourself, any recipe that lightens up a recipe without sacrificing flavor is a winner for me. (Plus, they give you the perfect excuse to eat twice as many.)
I have a major sweet tooth, but I’m one of those people who can’t handle an excess amount of sugar in the morning. Like I mentioned before, these scones have the perfect amount of sweetness which lend themselves to be called a (healthier) treat, but they lack the sugar content to make you feel sick from the sugar buzz.
These taste superb with a cup of coffee or tea and I can’t wait to savor one in the quiet hours of the morning!
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup dry oats
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, diced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg white
- ½ tbsp white sugar
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a mixer or bowl, mix together the buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the white flour, whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut in the butter into the flour mixture with two knives or a pastry cutter.
- Mix the dried cranberries and white chocolate into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture, stirring till combined.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form it into a 9-10 inch circle. Brush with an egg white.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ½ tbsp white sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle on the scones.
- Cut the dough into 12 wedges and bake for 22-25 minutes or until center is cooked.
Combine powdered sugar with a few teaspoons of milk to make a sweet sugar drizzle! *Not included in nutrition
Follow me on: