Sometimes, all you need in life is a steamy plate of pasta with gooey, melty cheese bubbling on the top.
I mean, I usually prefer the flavors of asian cuisine, but I do love me a good plate of pasta- one of my favorites being lasagna. There’s something so comforting about throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a pan and letting all of those delicious ingredients meld together in a savory symphony.
There is, however, a secret ingredient in this that TOTALLY blows it away and makes all the difference in lasagna for me!
That being said, I’m usually pretty picky about exactly how I like my lasagna and have yet to taste one better than that of my Grandma’s. I actually find it pretty funny that the original recipe came from a tiny asian woman instead of an Italian cookbook! She uses this cottage cheese instead of ricotta, which makes the lasagna more savory than sweet tasting and, in my personal opinion, much tastier.
Another thing I love about this recipe is that is was so easy to lighten up, yet still stay mouthwatering!
It’s packed full of protein, has less than 400 calories per hefty serving, and you could easily add some chopped vegetables to get in an extra serving of veggies.
Fast, healthy, and delicious! This healthy skillet lasagna is my kind of dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1lb lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup water
- 6 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- optional: parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook until translucent (4-5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and ½ tsp salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add in the ground beef, breaking the meat into pieces and cooking until no longer pink.
- Layer the lasagna noodles over the meat and pour the tomato sauces and water over the pasta. Cover and bring the dish to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the pasta is done. Season the lasagna well with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the lasagna off the heat and roughly stir in the cottage cheese. Top with big chunks of mozzarella and let sit covered for 5 minutes or until cheese it melted.
- If desired (I recommend it!), top with parmesan and basil.
This recipe contains sponsored content!
Follow me on: