≡ Menu

Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles

FacebookShare

What if I told you I could make fabulously delicious chocolate truffles out of an avocado. I sound like a magician, right? Well I’m not, but you guys, this recipe is magic. Honestly, it blew me away! Not only that, but these tasty truffles are vegan and gluten free!

DSC_1178

I would have never expected it to turn out so well, these truffles taste just as rich and delicious as the ones made with loads of sugar and heavy cream! Not only do they taste outstanding, they are made with just a few simple and real ingredients that come together to make something wonderful. I know avocados and chocolate don’t strike you as a match made in heaven, but trust me on this one! There is only a hint of avocado in the flavor, but the only thing that comes to mind when I bite into one is “oh my gosh”, then I proceed to drool all over myself.

Wonderful Reviews from Wonderful Readers!

“I never comment on blogs, or anything really, but these turned out amazing, so I had to!

I used a 90% chocolate bar I had, so had to balance the bitterness by adding condensed milk. If I had used a lighter chocolate, the milk would have been skipped cuz it made the mix too soft to keep its shape.

Thanks so much for the recipe!”

-MTee

“Made these yesterday & the family loved them so much I’m making them again today. A lovely sweet treat absolutely amazing & no one guessed the special ingredient Avocado icon_smile.gif Did cover some of the truffles with the cocoa powder but also tried chopped nuts, cranberries and melted milk chocolate all delicious

Will be sure to make these at Christmas will make wonderful gifts <3″

-Polly

“Just made these with my 5 year old. We did the cocoa pwder version and it was heavenly. Polly Malone (2 posts up) put me onto this recipe and it is simply child’s play. We had a wonderful sticky time with the mix and it was wonderful…

They are fab. Haven’t even told the family they have avocado in. Going to impress the team in my new job soon and look like a total Nigella!!”

-Fleur

Quick Note: If you’d like, I just made a facebook page for Apple of My Eye! “Like” the page to see recipes I post in your facebook newsfeed :)

Adapted from Alex’s Recipe at Chowvida!

4.9 from 8 reviews
Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles

Healthified truffles featuring healthy fats and as rich and creamy as the ones made with heavy cream!
Author:
Serves: 20
Ingredients
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 5 oz dark chocolate (try to avoid using chocolate chips)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  • 2½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (separated)
Instructions
  1. Pit the avocado and mash the flesh with a fork until completely smooth and lump free.
  2. Melt the chocolate in either the microwave or on the stove, taking care not to burn it. Once melted, stir in the mashed avocado, brown sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and 1½ tbsp of the cocoa powder until thoroughly combined.
  3. Place the truffle mixture into the fridge for 30-40 minutes and let cool until partially set.
  4. Use a small ice cream scooper or tablespoon to dollop out the truffles and form balls with your hands. Roll in the remaining 1 tbsp of cocoa powder.
  5. Stuff 5 in your mouth.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 truffle Calories: 59 Fat: 3.9g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 7.5g Sodium: 120mg Fiber: 1.5g Protein: 0.7g Cholesterol: 1mg

Make these. You’ll love me forever.

DSC_1141

DSC_1179Today’s  plans include an agonizingly awesome “Killer Abs” class at the gym, working on my freelance writing project for my new job, and a homemade dinner date with Kyle! Since we probably should eat more than just truffles for dinner, I’m open to suggestions on recipes to make!

I’m linking up with the rest of my lovely What I Ate Wednesday bloggers so I can share these delectable bites! Thanks, as always, to Jenn for hosting!

Share this post:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on Tumblr

Christine Skari

Budding, love hungry girl. A flower, in the fist of the world, eyes wide, fresh heart.

More Posts - Website

TwitterPinterestGoogle Plus

{ 106 comments }
  • Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 6, 2013, 9:52 pm

Wow, these look incredible!! I haven’t had a chance to bake with avocado yet but I’m sure it does a fantastic job replacing butter and cream.
    Your photography is look pretty awesome missy! :)

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 8, 2013, 5:29 pm

They really do! I would never have known the difference if someone just randomly offered me one (not that I take candy from strangers ;)). Thanks!

• Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 7, 2013, 1:20 am

Wow, these look like heaven!

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 7, 2013, 2:07 am

Oh wow – these look fantastic! I have been looking for a avocado chocolate recipe and this is perfect!
    Thanks for sharng!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 7, 2013, 3:41 am

Okay… These look -amazing.- I’ve tried the chocolate and avocado combo as pudding before, but never thought about truffles. You better believe I’m making these as soon as I have an avocado in my possession.

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 8, 2013, 5:29 pm

You definitely should! I don’t think I’ve ever been more surprised by the outcome of a recipe before haha!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 7, 2013, 3:48 am

I’ve seen several chocolate and avocado combinations hitting the blog world but I’ve always been sceptical (maybe because I douse my avocado in salt and pepper and can’t fathom something sweet with it…) but this looks like a winner! Will attempt it, and it better not taste like avocado. Or else my friends’ giraffe onesie gets burnt.

• Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now August 7, 2013, 4:54 am

Those actually do look really good :)

• Jessie August 7, 2013, 5:28 am

These look IN-CRED-IBLE!!! My heavens.. it’s like food orgasism, Ha Ha!

• Juli @1000lovelythings August 7, 2013, 5:44 am

I NEED TO TRY THIS TONIGHT!!!!!! Luckily I have an almost too ripe avocado at home! Thanks you made my day!

• Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers August 7, 2013, 6:06 am

It’s got chocolate, so it’s gotta be good, right? ;)

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food August 7, 2013, 6:13 am

I’ve always been curious about the chocolate/avocado thing. Those truffles look seriously delicious though!

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles August 7, 2013, 6:36 am

Seriously, please just come to my house and bake for me. I’m always drooling at the end of every one of your recipes…

• Alex@Veggin' Out August 7, 2013, 6:43 am

Your recipes lately!!!! OMG they just make my mouth water every time! And this even involves chocolate, double bonus. ;) AND since avocado is involved (full of healthy fats and all) and chocolate is full of antioxidants, these truffles are practically health food and would be perfect for breakfast. ;)

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 8, 2013, 5:31 pm

Hahah I’m glad I could get ya salivating ;). Basically! I had one with my morning latte and was in HEAVEN!

• Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog August 7, 2013, 7:03 am

These look AMAZING. I happen to have all of the ingredients too. Yay! I may try to make them tonight…

BTW, what app are you using to make your recipe cards? I love them!

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 8, 2013, 5:32 pm

Let me know if you do :D. I use Recipe Card, it’s a free plugin that you can get if you’re self hosted :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness August 7, 2013, 7:07 am

Ahh i want to make these!! these look amazing. i had no idea it was possible to make truffles with avocado- mind. blown. do want!! :)

• Aurora@Fitness is Sweet August 7, 2013, 7:28 am

I need to make these! Or find you and steal them. I’ve been wanting to try avocado-chocolate mouse. My roommate has made avocado-chocolate things a few times. She made avocado cupcakes and chocolate cake with avocado frosting for my birthday! I love having a roommate who loves to bake :)

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 8, 2013, 5:33 pm

Ahh so jealous of your roommate! Are you rooming with her again this upcoming school year? You should make her your baking slave :D

• Kim @ BusyBod August 7, 2013, 7:43 am

These look crazy good!! I’m definitely going to try them, and then maybe make them for my next bash :)

• Kailey (Caffeinated Runner) August 7, 2013, 7:56 am

I saw your tweet and I was secretly hoping that you would post the recipe today :)
    Can’t wait to make these!!

• Lauren August 7, 2013, 8:07 am

Your photography looks AMAZING for these truffles. I pretty much want to bite the screen right now. I hope you submitted this to FoodGawker because it’s pretty much making my mouth drool!

• Eating 4 Balance August 7, 2013, 8:16 am

Chocolate and avocado are just meant to be together. I’ve made chocolate avocado mousse a few times and my family really can’t even tell that green fruit is in there at all! These look great. Oh ya, and congrats on Foodgawker!

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness August 7, 2013, 8:32 am

Oh these sound wonderful! I love that avocado and chocolate go so well together, and of course how creamy avocados make things.

• jessiebearwhat August 7, 2013, 8:48 am

HOLY HELL I NEED THESE IN MY BODY NOW.

• Leigha August 7, 2013, 8:57 am

OH MY GOSH! I can’t even type these looks so good!!

• MassachusEATS August 7, 2013, 10:07 am

Glad I clicked on over here – those truffles sound excellent! I love finding tasty uses for avocados other than just slicing and eating em!

• Elyse F. August 7, 2013, 10:08 am

I’ve made brownie bites with walnuts instead but I’ve never thought about trying avocado!! I definitely need to make these!!

• Alyssa @ Road to RD August 7, 2013, 10:09 am

Omg, definitely making these tonight!

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures August 7, 2013, 10:12 am

Yep yep yep uh huh just emailed myself the link to pick these ingredients up at the grocery store this weekend! Holy yum. I will be sure to give a full review once I indulge! :)

• Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff August 7, 2013, 1:46 pm

Um wow these look amazing and easy to do! Your blog is super cute btw! :)

• Sydney @ Just Water Please August 7, 2013, 2:10 pm

I love the whole avocado/chocolate combo! When I first heard about it I wasn’t so sure, but then I made dark chocolate avocado cupcakes with peanut butter frosting…Now I’m hooked on the combo :) These truffles are getting made this weekend for sure!! Thanks for sharing.

• Amanda Fraijo-Tobin (@FraijoManda) August 7, 2013, 3:20 pm

Those look amazing, thanks for sharing!!

• Kaitlin August 7, 2013, 4:04 pm

YUMMO! Totally putting this one aside :)

• Whitney Nanamkin August 7, 2013, 5:08 pm

LOVE the idea of this! At work we are having a potluck and we’ve got a vegan eater and a gluten free eater.. And I’m in charge of deserts!! Soo making these! And a few extras for me and hubby! Thank for sharing!!! :)

• Karey @ Nutty About Health August 7, 2013, 7:25 pm

These truffles look GREAT Christine!! Yum!!! :)

• Jackie @ Something About That August 7, 2013, 7:50 pm

I’ve never seen anything like these before, but I’m basically drooling just looking at your photos.

I wish I hadn’t just eaten the avacado I had today, or I’d literally make these tomorrow. This will have to wait until the weekend.

Great post :)
    xoxo Jackie
    somethingaboutthatthing.blogspot.com/

• IntrovertlyBubbly August 8, 2013, 6:36 am

Love this idea..love both dark chocolates and even love avocado more

• Gabrielle August 10, 2013, 7:11 pm

Thanks for this recipe Christine :) Just made some today! http://gabriellekwalter.com/2013/08/10/a-saturday-of-odds-and-ends/

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 11, 2013, 8:22 am

This truffles sound seriously amazing! I’m pinning them and need to try them asap! :-)

• Ashleigh August 22, 2013, 7:54 am

For some reason the recipe isn’t showing up on this web page and I’m dying to make these! Can someone please include the recipe here if they can see it??? Thanks!

• Christine Skari August 22, 2013, 7:57 am

Not sure why the recipe decided to hide! Just fixed the problem :). Let me know how they turn out for ya!

• Carol August 25, 2013, 9:15 pm

Hi there! Can you tell me if you’re one ripe avocado is a smaller avocado, or the lager Haas variety? Thanks!

• Carol August 26, 2013, 7:13 am

Thanks so much!

• Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake September 11, 2013, 1:03 pm

If you could send some of these to Scotland I will love you forever!
    Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake recently posted…Weekend kitchen creations (WIAW)My Profile

• MTee September 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!

• Christine Skari September 18, 2013, 11:21 am

I’m SO glad they turned out well for you! Such a great chocolatey treat to have on hand :). Thanks for commenting! I love hearing how my recipes go for other people <3

• Janet Paula September 25, 2013, 7:01 am

Please tell me know about how much avocado is needed. Is it a small, medium or large avocado or it doesn’t really matter.

Thank you.

• Christine Skari September 25, 2013, 7:37 am

Hi Janet,

A medium to large avocado would work best here! I wouldn’t worry too much about the size, though :)

• Janet Paula September 29, 2013, 2:40 am

Hi,

Really thankful for your quick answer.

I made these and they turned out great. But, I only used 100 gr. of a chocolate bar (as my daughter had used up a few and forgot to tell me) and made up the difference with cocoa powder plus about a little less than 1 1/2 tablespoon of agave.

In an emergency when I don’t have any good chocolate bars at home would it be feasible to use all cocoa. If so, how much oil or other ingredient should I add to the cocoa powder in order to duplicate a chocolate bar, more or less?

Most appreciative to you for any help you can give me because I really want to make these over and over again.

• Christine Skari September 29, 2013, 8:42 am

Glad they turned out well for you! As far as not using any chocolate at all, I think the truffles might not hold their shape as well.Since we use unsweetened cocoa powder in the recipe, the truffles might also come out a bit bitter!

I’m sure they would still taste delicious without the chocolate bar if you don’t have any on hand, but make sure to add extra sweetener to make up for the lost sugar from the bars! They might also come out with a more chocolate mousse-like texture.

Hope that helps a bit, thanks for commenting :)

• Polly Malone Ireland October 2, 2013, 8:53 am

Made these yesterday & the family loved them so much I’m making them again today. A lovely sweet treat absolutely amazing & no one guessed the special ingredient Avocado :-) Did cover some of the truffles with the cocoa powder but also tried chopped nuts, cranberries and melted milk chocolate all delicious

Will be sure to make these at Christmas will make wonderful gifts <3

• Christine Skari October 2, 2013, 9:47 am

So glad they turned out well for you! I’m always awed at how well these turn out and how you can’t taste the avocado! Just creamy chocolate goodness :D. I love the idea of covering them with different toppings!

Thanks so much for commenting- this made my day!

• Fleur Michelle October 4, 2013, 10:56 am

Just made these with my 5 year old. We did the cocoa pwder version and it was heavenly. Polly Malone (2 posts up) put me onto this recipe and it is simply child’s play. We had a wonderful sticky time with the mix and it was wonderful. I honestly think the nutritional values need working on…..
    “Nutrition Information
    Serving size: 1 Calories: 59 Fat: 3.9g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 7.5g Sodium: 120mg Fiber: 1.5g Protein: 0.7g Cholesterol: 1mg ”
    ….hey, who cares! They are fab. Haven’t even told the family they have avocado in. Going to impress the team in my new job soon and look like a total Nigella!!

• Tiffanie October 6, 2013, 8:23 pm

I NEVER comment on anything, but i can not wait to make these!!! Gluten free!!! Oh ya!

• Christine Skari October 6, 2013, 8:25 pm

Woohoo! I love being able to pull a reader into commenting haha ;). Hope you love them as much as I do!

• Catheryn December 1, 2013, 5:37 pm

Hi there, I would love to know if you can freeze this recipe? I have a few events I’m going to in about 3 weeks time, but I have a bunch of avocadoes at the moment that are almost ripe.

It would save me time later if I could make them now, do you know if this would work?

Thanks so much!

• Christine Skari December 2, 2013, 9:22 am

Hi!

I’ve never tried freezing them before, so I can’t say for certain how well they would turn out. I have a feeling that they’re better made fresh or a few days in advanced and refrigerated!

Sorry I can’t give you a more certain answer, hope they turn out well for you :)

• Katie @ Produce on Parade December 17, 2013, 6:21 pm

Wow, these look great. I can’t wait to try them. What a great use of an ripe avocado that you don’t know what to do with! :)

• Samantha January 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

I’m making these right now! Can’t wait to try them! :)

• Christine Skari January 15, 2014, 6:23 pm

Ohh exciting! Let me know how you like them! I wish I could pop one in my mouth right now haha! :D

• Voula January 20, 2014, 10:31 pm

Justify made this. Instead of rolling in cocoa, I dipped them in melted dark chocolate and they’re fantastic! The avocado I had was very ripe-perfect for this recipe, since it doesn’t have any aftertaste. I used a small one (5 in a bag).
    Thank you!

• Anna February 17, 2014, 1:51 pm

These look incredible! I’ve been planning (for months now) to make a chocolate pudding using avocado, but this is an even better idea! Can’t wait to make them!
    Anna recently posted…LoveMy Profile

• Christine Skari February 17, 2014, 5:10 pm

Trust me, they’re delicious! You would think that the avocado would have a strong flavor, but all it adds is creaminess :D. I actually JUST (as in 2 minutes ago) finished up a batch of Dark Chocolate Avocado Cookies and they’re just as tasty!

• Ashley March 7, 2014, 4:21 pm

Why avoid chocolate chips? I have some dark chocolate chips and no chocolate bar. Just wondering why you would advise to avoid them?

• Christine Skari March 7, 2014, 4:39 pm

Great question! Chocolate chips contain extra ingredients that keep them from solidifying up well after you’ve melted them. If you use them in truffles, the truffles are extra squishy and don’t form solidly too well (they’re still delicious, though!). Baking chocolate bars solidifie up perfectly!

• Jen March 18, 2014, 6:44 pm

I just put together this recipe exactly as it was written, but after 1 hour in the refrigerator the truffle mixture was nowhere close to the consistency that it would need to be to roll it with your hands. It seems it would have to sit over night. Mixture tastes delicious, though!

• Christine Skari March 23, 2014, 10:10 am

Hmm, that’s strange! Mine usually comes together within 30 minutes of being in the fridge. Next time I make these, I’ll look into why they didn’t solidify for you. Sorry they didn’t come out perfect :(!

• Jen March 23, 2014, 10:31 am

Actually, right after I wrote that comment I saw you wrote that the bar works better than the chips, and I was using small pieces, a little bigger than chips. When I used the bar it worked great. I dipped them in dark chocolate and they are delicious!

• Dara March 29, 2014, 6:24 pm

WOW! I was very skeptical to make these, for some reason avocado in desserts does not sound appealing but these were seriously amazing. I’m blown away by how easy and healthy this is for a dessert. I used 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate instead of 6 oz. and that was enough.

• Christine Skari March 30, 2014, 7:21 am

So glad they turned out well for you! That’s the same reaction that I felt when I made them! Bizarre, but delicious :).

• Janet Paula March 30, 2014, 10:43 am

First of all, the recipe calls for 5 oz. of chocolate and not 6 oz. as you say in your comment. I’d also like to know how you know it is enough chocolate if you never made them with the correct amount. When I ran out of chocolate and only had I made up the difference with plain cocoa powder and a little bit of sweetener such as agave or you could use coconut sugar or stevia. In my last batch I added a few drops of mint essence and they are quite nice. The next time I’m adding a few drops of almond essence. I’ve even added liquor to one batch that I made. Delicious!

• Bianca April 27, 2014, 6:47 am

I just want to say that these chocolate avocado truffles are really troublesome to make – troublesome in the sense that I can barely keep my hands off them! They’re just so very fudge-y and chocolate-ty and addictive. How on earth did you manage to take those shots of the truffles without sneaking one? ;) Thanks so much for the recipe!

• Christine Skari April 28, 2014, 4:52 pm

Hahah you totally tricked me with your opening sentence ;)! I woke up in the middle of the night and randomly checked my mail and was half asleep when I first read it and my first thought was “Oh no! The first-ever person where the recipe didn’t work out”. Glad to hear they turned out just as yummy for you! I usually have a hard time not eating all of the batter mix out of the bowl before rolling them, so you aren’t alone in your struggle!

• Sarah June 23, 2014, 6:45 pm

Omg I have been trying to find something to satisfy my sweet cravings without ruining a healthy diet and I have to say I finally found my solution. I just made these tonight and they are amazing!!! I love how they have the taste of cake batter yet lack the guilt of high calories. Such a great recipe!

• Christine Skari June 24, 2014, 11:44 am

Hooray! SO glad to hear they turned out well for you! Aren’t they ridiculously divine? The avocado basically disappears and you’re left with just fudgy deliciousness!