I’m typing this up from the 101 freeway to a medley of Taylor Swift music (don’t judge) as Kyle and I head back up to Santa Barbara after spending the long weekend in our hometown. I apologize for the lack of posts these last few days, but I was soaking up the family, Tucker (Kyle’s black lab puppy), and photo shoots.
So now I’m making it up to you guys with these double-decker chocolate chip cheesecake bars. LIKE WHAT. Do you accept my apology? Good, I’ll take that salivating as a yes.
This is one of the many, MANY recipes I have bookmarked through Pinterest to try (check out the original from Divas Can Cook here!). Pinterest is both a blessing and a curse in that you get inspiration for aaaalllll the ideas, yet only a fraction of them actually come to fruition. It’s come to the point where sometimes I get so overwhelmed by all the options I have that I end up just giving up and eating Ben and Jerry’s in bed. Which is a bad habit I need to break because I have absolutely no sense of portion control and you better believe I’m eating the whole pint if given the opportunity.
So anywho, I’m babbling nonsense, but what I mean to stress is that THIS recipe popped out on my screen as I scrolled through Pinterest and I knew I just had to make it. All you need to do is take one look at that double layer of chocolate chip cookie and perfect cheesecake layer and you are sold.
So let’s chat a bit more about these gorgeous bars.
You have a creamy, perfectly sweet cheesecake layer that’s sandwiched beautifully between two soft + chocolate chip-filled cookie layers. These cookies are baked till juuuusttt out of their cookie dough phase (the al dente of the cookie world if ya know what I mean) and the combination is just UNREAL. As my housemate Kira said, “This is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth EVER.”
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided, plus more if desired
- CHEESECAKE LAYER
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a standmixer or by hand, cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed together. Don't over-stir!
- In a 8x8 pan that's lined with parchment paper, add in half of the cookie dough and press it in evenly. Cover with a cup of the chocolate chips and set aside.
- To make the cheesecake layer, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour on the first cookie layer.
- Gently press the other half of the cookie dough layer and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chip layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, then let cool completely. Refrigerate for a few hours before cutting!