Hover over the image to pin the recipe to Pinterest :)!
When I say healthy, I mean healthy in terms of cookies. Because really, what’s a cookie without a little sugah and buttah? Can you even call it a cookie without the two?
So here’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to take just a leeeettle sugar and buttah, throw in whole wheat flour and heart-healthy oats, and top everything with dark chocolate and walnuts. The result? The BEST “healthy” cookie ever. Seriously.
I had my “assistant” helping with my cookie baking today. And by helping I mean eating.
Kyle was just filled to the brim with compliments for these cookies and I don’t know if it was the sugar or what, but he was especially expressive with his feelings for my baking today. Imagine me sitting at our kitchen table, trying to get some work done, with Kyle next to me, glass of milk and cookie in hand.
- “I really really really really like these.” (Yup, 4 whole “reallys”.)
- “I’m on a cookie high!”
- “LOOK HOW GOOD THIS BITE LOOKS”
- “Cookie eyepatch. I’m crazy!!”
The boy has good reason to love them so much, though! These cookies are ridiculously good and you can’t taste the reduced sugar or whole wheat flour in the least! They have the most wonderful hearty and fluffy texture and are bursting with walnuts and fat chunks of dark chocolate chunks. Honestly, they don’t taste healthified in the slightest and they may just be my new favorite cookie. And for only 100 calories each? That means you can stuff 5 in your mouth!! Uhhhm. YES PLEASE.
Make these. I promise you’ll love them :).
- Serves: 24
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 99
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 15.5mg
- 6 tbsps butter
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 cups dry oats
- ⅓ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ⅓ dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and sugars until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, mixing to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and oats. Add the dry mixture to the butter and sugar, mixing till just combined.
- Add in the walnuts and dark chocolate, mixing till incorporated.
- Measure out roughly 1 tbsp of dough for each cookie and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. (Don’t over-bake! They will finish cooking outside of the oven.)